Friday, January 27, 2012

Winter Semester Week 4 Report

Have not been blogging for about 2 weeks already after the Thirsty Scholar's post, and I am still with a thing with Ryan! :P

A 'good' start!
Academic
So yea, I am taking 5 courses this semester, which is 15 credits in total. They are FAW II, Intro to Media and Society, Media Literacy, Studio Practice and Ideas/Space, and Studio Practice and Ideas/Drawing.

Foundations of Academic Writing II is just annoying as FAW I last semester, although it is online but the workload is crazy. Damn. Luckily this time is all about writing, less focus on grammar.

For Intro to Media and Society, to be honest, class have not really started yet. First class was the introduction, class expectation, bla bla stuff then second class supposed to have a presentation by someone from the library and then that person couldn't make it then the class was cancelled. This week in class talked something about media and stuffs. I think the professor is an American tho, the way she speaks is different with my other professors. And she looked too young to have a PhD! *salute* And she is darn skinny and fashionable! Wooooooo~ However, the bad news is, I need to write a research paper for this course #fml But the good thing is, I have so many companion in this class! Thao, Jakob, my RA-A Heidi, the China guy in my sculpture class, Sarah whom I just met today and the list goes on. LOL. So yea, hopefully this course will be easy :X

As for Media Literacy, I have to say. THIS IS MY FAVOURITE CLASS IN CANADA SO FAR! I have the same feeling towards Media Literacy like how I feel towards Computer Science in CPU and Philosophy in AUP! The professor is not the major reason, but the content, it is more like World Issues because we talked about Noam Chomsky, environmental issues, stuffs like that. The main thing about this course is to study those lies that media tell us. And most importantly, we will be going to have a chapter about DISNEY'S! Although is going to reveal the evil side of it but I am looking forward for it! Haha! And I have Thao again with me in this class! Wheeee~

Studio classes are pain in the ass, and purse at well! T.T Which makes me think of am I really suitable to Visual Arts. Studio Practice and Ideas/Space is sculpture class tho, most of us have no idea why is it called 'space'. LOL. Sculpture class is quite fun tho, the lecturer is indeed an artist, as in his characteristic-weird, haha! I kind of enjoyed the first assignment, except for walked 45mins just to get a light bulb. Why light bulb? Because our first assignment is to create an ugly lamp out of a lamp. Got a free lamp from Bethany because I have no idea where to get a lamp, couldn't afford to buy a new one because all of them are damn expensive and those secondhand stores are so far away :/ Don't feel like show you guys my sketch of the original lamp, instead I show the parts of it :P

Parts of the lamp

Sketch for idea.

Outcome.

The light bulb for the lamp is not typical one though, which caused me a lot of trouble. It is a biax, then I blasted it because I removed the ballast from the original, I know shit about those voltage and power stuff. Then paid visit to Zeller and Canadian Tire, zero result for a biax light bulb because Canadian normally use incandescent light bulb, part of the reason is Canadian Tire sell it for friggin $15 just for one. Emo-ed for few days then found a hardware store that sells biax light bulb, and cheaper too!But the place is located at 45mins of walking distance from my residence. Why I decided to walk but take public transportation or cab? First, I am uncertain with the bus route, and bus ticket for back and forth is friggin expensive :/ But still, I took a cab back to school because it is really far! Plus snows on the ground make it unpleasant to walk on it :/ In the end, the light bulb still dies off 1 day after the installation in SoVa Gallery! LOL. Not sure what grade I will get for this, hopefully is not a C because I saw a C on the lecturer's notebook O.o 

One of the lamps, epic right?

Working on the lamp.

Lastly, DRAWING! It is exactly what I expected! Lots of drawing pros in the class and I am the worst! T.T And the first day was suck, I have to carry all these back to my room, and spent $100 for all these shits! 
SHITS.

The cardboard height is until my armpit, and the 2 mill boards is darn heavy, I had hard time carrying them from LeBel Building back to the residence. I was like walked for few steps, stopped to adjust the position of the cardboard because it kept slipping down, and also wind that day was damn strong! It blown the cardboard fold into half, which saved my work because I need to fold it into half and tape the edges to make it a folder. DAMN. For the first month, alll we do is just draw lines, consist of squares, cubes, spheres, bla bla bla, by using pencil, she likes to call it graphite, charcoal and sharpie marker. On Wednesday class, she introduced the first independent project, which is to draw the psychological self. DAMN. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DRAW. I KNOW SHIT ABOUT MYSELF. AND I AM SO GONNA FAIL THIS FREAKING STUDIO. o0o

Forced to sketch a lot.

Don't expect me to post my sketches online, I don't want my readers die because of this! Haha! No la, in fact I feel inferior =.= When you have people like Debra, Chantel, Elliot, XiaoYing on Facebook posting their so called 'simply' sketches, you will go 'why in the hell you can't draw?!' then stabbing yourself in mind for a million time. Okay la, I just don't want to embarrass myself  =________= I am a pro in digital arts not fine arts okay? #mukatebal

Clubs/Social
Finally got a position in AIESEC! As a web manager! Hohohohoho! 

First task of the position-flyer! 

And they have a Business and Technology conference in Toronto soon, not sure if I want to go or not, cost is the thing in mind, secondly, I-don't-know, just feel awkward to step in Toronto again :X But I am looking forward for National Congress tho, but don't know when yet! :P

Attended the residence Winter Formal. Reason why I want to go because I want to experience the high school prom feel, as what they describe it on their posters. LOL.  


Rome theme.

I was wearing Kira's dress, don't even bother to buy dress.

The event was BORING! No entertainment, no performances, NOTHING! But terrific food tho, especially the dessert!
Wearing like this in the weather of -5 degree Celsius. Couldn't feel my toes at all that time, haha!

Also, don't know why I missed all the VISA meeting, LOL, but I am joining their tubing trip at London! LOOKING FORWARD FOR IT! Besides, I applied to become a committee of UNICEF in Windsor, don't know if I should go to the interview or not because I foresee that AIESEC and those studio stuffs gonna kill me soon.

Random/Others
Kinda settled the housing for next semester? Still dealing with the housemates problems and the possibility of might get cheated because the landlord did not pick up his fucking phone since the day he collected our $100 each for deposit. Promised to meet up this Saturday for pay for last month and discuss the remaining problems, hopefully he is not a jerk. #prayhard


346 Askin

The location is perfect! 3 mins away from university, close to shops! But longer time to reach Lebel, sad art student's life. And everything is included, except internet. The best part is, no one has to live in the basement! COOLEST! 

PLEASE, I REALLY WANT TO STAY IN THIS HOUSE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! BAD THINGS PLEASE DON'T HAPPEN. 

Windsor finally snowed! FINALLY!

Unknown sock and shirt in my laundry bag, creepy. 

And, I NEED MONEY! Went to Eros, BimbimToGo, Seoul Windsor, HingLung, etc to ask if they need  people or not. Apparently only HingLung called back, but my schedule doesn't allow, gahhhh gonna put all the hope on BimbimToGo as the lady said she need people on February! :D Not that I have no money in account, just that I feel bad to withdraw them :/

FINALLY! I AM GOING TO ATLANTA FOR READING WEEK! Jealous? :P I am going with Fantine, a girl I met in AIESEC, migrated to Canada from China since she is 8, wheeeee~

SO YEAAAA, THAT'S ALL FOR THE FIRST MONTH OF WINTER SEMESTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!